1) What is Camerounaise des Eaux?

Camerounaise des Eaux is a company incorporated under Cameroonian law in December of 2007 by a consortium of Moroccan firms (ONEP, Delta Holding, Ingema and Medz) with a view to providing drinking water supply services in the Republic within the area under lease made up of 106 urban and suburban centres. It takes over from the defunct Cameroon National Water Corporation (SNEC) within the framework defined by the lease contract.

2) What is the difference between CDE and CAMWATER?

CDE and CAMWATER are partner firms. CDE is in charge of treating, transporting and distributing drinking water within the area covered by the lease. It ensures maintenance of business infrastructure, as well the replacement of those assets under its care with a view to improving the service ratio. CAMWATER caters to the mobilization of funds for the realization of development projects. It also sees to the construction, rehabilitation and the financial and countable management of drinking water infrastructures.

3) What is the procedure to follow in order to obtain a connection?

There are two possible cases

A. Your compound has never had a connection

  • You are the owner of the compound

Show up at the counter of the branch serving your neighbourhood bringing along your deed of ownership or any relevant document and a photocopy of your National identity card or of your passport.

  • You are a tenant

The procedure to follow is the same but besides it will be necessary to you to produce a tenancy agreement and a written and legalized authorization from your landlord.

B. There is a connection in place but the meter had been removed

Show up at the CDE branch counter serving your neighbourhood with one of the following documents which will enable your installation to be identified:
• An old bill of the previous tenant
• An old connection estimate form
• Any other document that identifies your installation

If you have a document identifying your installation, a worker shall accompany you to the field to carry out the identification.

4) What is the cost of a connection?

The cost of a connection depends on its length and diameter.

5) What is the time-limit for processing a connection file

The time-limit for processing a connection file is 15 days after payment.

6) Which are the various ways of settling bills?

Bills can be settled in four different ways:

a) Settlement at the cash office of the CDE branch serving your neighbourhood.

b) Bank domiciliation for the settlement of water bills

The settlement of your bill is done by your bank by debiting your bank account

c) Advance payments

You pay an amount corresponding to three, six or twelve months’ consumption at your CDE branch cash office; this amount shall constitute a deposit from which your monthly bills shall be deducted.

d) Partial settlement

Reserved for water vendors or proprietors of carwashes, this payment method allows for regular payments of an amount not less than1000 (one thousand) francs CFA until the extinction of the total amount before the due date appearing on his bill.

7) What steps should be taken when one has a problem with one’s water bill?

Call at your local CDE branch. And/or contact the Commercial and Marketing Directorate

8) Are there rate variations within the year for a m3 of water?

The rate for a m3 does not vary within the year.

9) What is GPOBA?

The Global Partnership on Output Based Aid (GPOBA) is a multi-donor fund jointly created in January 2003 by the United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID) and the World Bank and is operated by the World Bank.

10) What is a social (or welfare) connection?
This is a domestic connection intended for the most underprivileged persons, especially those households living on less than 1 US dollar per day and per person.

11) How does one constitute a file in order to qualify for the Social (or Welfare) Connections Program?

Show up at your local commercial branch counter with the following documents:
• The photocopy of your national identity card (NIC) or of your passport
• Your deed of ownership or any relevant document

12) What are the selection criteria that qualify households for the Social (or Welfare) Connections Program?

The eligibility criteria during the first two years of the project implementation are restricted to new connections for domestic use with a diameter of 20mm and of distance from the public main not exceeding 25 metres in urban and suburban areas. The project is for those households that own a house with a drinking water supply pipe

13) Why is the Social (or Welfare) Connections Program limited to 500 000 households?

The Social (or Welfare) Connections Program is a donation from the World Bank, and, as donor, the World Bank determines the number of households.

14) What are the most common reasons for disruptions in water supply?

Several reasons can be identified:

• Low production as a result of the drying up of the source of supply (water course, spring, borehole)
• Breakdown of electronic equipment
• Power failure
• Breakages of supply and distribution mains
• Maintenance of structures or any other intervention on the treatment or distribution facilities
• Non settlement of water bills

15) What does one do when one finds out his water supply has been interrupted?

• Make sure the stop-valve is open
• Close all the taps in the house
• Contact the nearest CDE branch to your home

16) In case of water interruption, if the tap is open, would the meter continue turning?

During the interruption of water flow, the meter does not turn when the tap is open. It only turns when water returns to the pipe.

17) Why is the water from the tap sometimes coloured?

In most cases, the colouring of water is due to some disruption in the distribution network.
The colouring of the water does not mean it is unfit for drinking.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 March 2010 15:12